Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Well, well, well ... (plus five more)

My best friend, Nash, who lives in Chicago, knows that fatherhood is actually one of my favorite "hobbies" and that I love doing fun activities with our boys. So for my birthday this summer, he and Jeff sent me a very creative "hands-on" gift that's fun for kids of all ages — a fancy caterpillar cakelet pan and special decorating kit from Williams-Sonoma!

As soon as the UPS truck stopped in front of our house that afternoon, I called Jack to the door so we could see what it was. Though it seemed like the anticipation was killing him, I made sure to take our time and open each part very carefully. First, we looked to see who sent it and where it came from. Then I had him shake the big, sturdy cardboard box to guess what was inside (he could hardly lift it up). I slowly cut the tape with a utility knife and inside were two beautifully wrapped gift boxes ... and lots of plastic air pockets as cushioning. Again, I encouraged him to shake the individual boxes to listen for their contents. He made some pretty outlandish guesses. Finally, we untied the grosgrain ribbon, freed the signature Williams-Sonoma cookie cutters and he tore apart the wrapping paper.

Popping the pile of packaging.

We couldn't wait to get to work, and make our multi-legged masterpiece. We filled every other well in the pan with yellow cake batter, then added cocoa to the rest to fill the remaining four wells with our newly created chocolate batter. (Likewise, we dusted some dry cake mix that we had set aside in the yellow cake wells, and sprinkled cocoa in the rest of them to "flour" the chocolate sections.) After it baked and cooled, we decorated our homemade creature with edible eyes, wiggly antennae and magnificent markings, using the colorful sanding sugars, little jimmies and nonpareils.

It was a real treat. Thanks Nash!

No comments: