Monday, April 6, 2009

Top o' the morning

Right before St. Patrick's Day, Jack and I participated in his school's float for the 25th annual Snake Saturday Parade. Though it was cool that morning, you could tell it was going to be a beautiful day. With everyone looking forward to spring and the festive atmosphere of the holiday coming up, there was definitely a buzz in the air. We found a great parking spot just a couple blocks away, and our walk there made me think back to old college Homecoming parades ... except I was thinking about the healthy snacks we brought along, bottles of water we had packed and if my son was dressed appropriately — not wondering if I had enough beer.

Nonetheless, it was a really impressive float with a pirate theme. As everyone arrived, I made the mistake of calling the apparatus he's playing with below a spyglass. Jack quickly corrected me: "No, Dad. It's a cannon." Ahh, much more violent and deadly. What was I thinking.

Cap'n Jack, getting his "parade face" on.


He snagged a spot right up front, by the same little lass from the roller skating party.


Afterward, Oakhill received the Mayor's Choice award and won $1,000!

No comments: