Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Homecoming (...and related festivities)

The weekend before last, I spent three days and two nights in Maryville for Northwest's Homecoming. I first had some board meetings Thursday afternoon, Thursday evening and Friday morning; then was fortunate to be involved in the inauguration ceremony for Northwest's new president.


Photo by Eric Keith, St. Joseph News-Press.

Photo by Lori Frankenfield, The Northwest Missourian.

See the university's official photos here.

Me and Dr. J.

If I had to name just one person who most inspired me to become an active alum 11 years ago, it would be Mike.

Then it was off to tour various buildings on campus for the four different open houses and academic showcases.

The Department of Music had groups of student musicians playing at each site!

We made sure to end up at the on-campus elementary school where the principal presented President Jasinski with a hardbound book filled with notes, drawings and "job descriptions" of a university president — all made by the children. Then their Bearcat Choir gave a special performance of songs that you could tell were selected just for this occasion. (Vanessa, the elementary school's vocal music director, who instituted this select choir, and I were in college together and she was completely in her element.) It was all very impressive.

Unfortunately, I didn't start recording this until I realized, "Wow, they're really good. I should be recording this."

After the annual flag-raising ceremony at the International Plaza, and the ribbon-cutting ceremony and dedication of the Valk Center renovation, it was on to the grand reception in the Administration Building. Whew!

Though it had been rainy, cold and windy, campus was still beautiful.

Louise and Janet, who Leslie worked with on campus for a couple of years, and who she still stays in touch with.

On my way out the door, I ran into Don & Marjean Ehlers, the Wesley Center campus ministers, who I hadn't seen in years. We ended up talking for the next three hours!

Later that evening, walking through campus on the way to my car.

Saturday morning, my wake-up call was at 4:30 a.m., I was checked out of my hotel room around 5:15 and I was back to campus by 5:30. That included getting to tour the president's house, built in 1870, which is being entirely renovated. "The Classical Revival structure has been the home of Northwest's president since the university's founding in 1905 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places." Through this second-story window...

I saw the sun rise over the county courthouse...

which made this young maple tree, just outside the Gaunt House, look like it was on fire (it hasn't been altered or PhotoShopped one bit).

And with that, just as I had feared, my camera battery died (I accidentally left the charger at Mom's in Nebraska the weekend before). But I borrowed Sully's camera to snap this of the Alumni Association float, complete with the alumni band chapter which played throughout the parade route. See more of Darren Whitley's photos here.


Two pics of that afternoon's overtime victory, from BearcatBlitz.com.

No comments: